Friday, July 03, 2009

NBC Sports and The Wimbledon Fail.

I absolutely HATE NBC Sports right now. It is a long weekend here in the US for most and with that of course comes lots of sports. One of the biggest worldwide sporting events of course is Wimbledon. There is a potentially great semi final going on right now on the other side of the pond between American Andy Roddick and the local favorite Andy Murray. The match up has all the potential to be a great one. But me and lots of other people who live in the US aren't watching the match right now.

Yes, apparently they can't skip Martha Stewart's show for a day. I've mentioned in the past and I'll say it again, I love the NBC does sports. I love their broadcasts from the top down. But, tape delay....in 2009? Seriously? I hate it when they do this with the Olympics, but I'm willing to excuse them for that most of the time given how big of a time difference there is and the good events happening in the middle of the day US time. Fair enough. But today is just inexcusable. Like I mentioned before it is a long weekend here. Most people have access to a TV, especially if you are in the Northeast with all this rain. Why kill the buzz to what could be a great sports day?

The Roddick/Murray match up started around 10:30 AM eastern time. ESPN is not allowed to show it because under the TV contract they sign along with NBC sports they each get to pick one semi final to show. Fair enough.....but someone forgot to mention to them they should be showing it live. Again, its 2009....it shouldn't be that complicated. NBC will start their coverage on the east coast at noon. That is a full 90 minutes after the match started. Do they jump right into the coverage of the match or will they show the Women's doubles semi final from earlier today involving the Williams sisters first?

If you were like me and thought to go to nbcsports.com and try to catch a live feed there...well it turns out NBC can't air the match there either until noon eastern because ESPN still holds the Wimbledon rights until that time even though their match ended over an hour ago and right now they are showing the 5th set from last year's epic final. Why couldn't they put tennis on USA Network until they were ready to go over to NBC? Was a NCIS marathon really that important? Don't even get me started on what is on the other NBC Universal networks like Bravo and Scifi.

I really can't believe that these 90 minutes really help NBC that much. I can understand not wanting to cancel the "Today Show" but airing Martha Stewart's show is just insane. So an idiot like me who actually wants to watch this match up in its entirety is supposed to cut off from the world, not go to any news or sports website. Can't turn to any sports channel or even news channel. Can't go online because I'm bound to get the result spoiled via Facebook or Twitter. Once again...epic fail in the year 2009.

Sucks even more if you are in the west coast. NBC won't start their broadcast there until noon local time....which of course is another 3 hours later. Pure genius NBC. Let your audience go get the results elsewhere so they don't tune in. What do you know, I thought the NBC was gonna hurt me this weekend was with lack of news on MSNBC. This my friends is reason #345321143 why I want to be back in Canada.

You can reach me here, by e-mail or via twitter.

Seed on Newsvine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...