Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Yet another blown call in baseball

It has happened again.

Once again a terrible call from an umpire is taking the spotlight away from what was otherwise a very good game. The Atlanta Braves defeated the Pittsburgh Pirates in 19 innings when home plate umpire Jerry Meals blew a call. It appeared as though the tag from Pirates catcher Michael McKenry got Julio Lugo out by 6 feet but for some reason or another Meals called him same. Watch the video and the photo for yourself and decide.




After the game Meals explained his call to reporters.
"I saw the tag, but he looked like he oled him and I called him safe for that, I looked at the replays and it appeared he might have got him on the shin area. I'm guessing he might have got him, but when I was out there when it happened I didn't see a tag.I just saw the glove sweep up. I didn't see the glove hit his leg."
I still don't understand the people who oppose instant replay because they like the "human element." Just get the call right. That is all it should be about. It is a shame that a game where the two bullpens combined for 26 shutout innings will be remembered for the blown call.
As always you can leave a comment here, reach me by e-mail or Follow sahyder1 on Twitter.
MLB Andrew Mccutchen Pittsburgh Pirates Adult Short Sleeve Basic Tee (Black, X-Large)Brian Mccann Atlanta Braves Name and Number T-Shirt (Medium)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...